Are you passionate about education, debate, civics, and providing the best educational opportunities for Chicago youth?
Then we need YOU!
The CDL relies on a large network of volunteers–college students, debate league alumni, professionals in the community, parents, and teachers–to judge our tournaments. No experience is required; we will train you to be an effective judge. Judges have the option to volunteer for a half-day or full day, and are compensated with a small stipend and lunch. Judge opportunities are available throughout the school year.
- the format of a competitive policy debate (time limits, speech order)
- the specialized jargon debaters use (topicality, disad, kritik, etc.)
- how to take notes in a debate to make a good decision
- how to complete a debate ballot
- how to give feedback to students on debate
- common arguments on this year’s topic
- how to determine who wins a debate
Please donate your time to help mentor our students as they develop their critical thinking and public speaking skills.